Top area rug cleaning tip: blog don't rubThis cleaning tip holds true for any area rug or carpet. If you try to rub out a stain or spill, you'll ruin the carpet fibers resulting in a permanent matted appearance. What should you do if you have a stain or spill?
- Blot it with a wet towel to flush out the area.
- Blot the are with a dry towel
- Repeat these two steps until no more residue comes out. Then avoid walking on the area until it is completely dry.
Regular area rug maintenanceIf you have a handmade, hand-knotted or oriental rug, you'll need special cleaning care done by a professional. If you have a large machine-made area rug, you can treat it as you would carpet:
- Vacuum regularly (at least once a week), taking care to avoid any fringe on the edges of your rug.
- Turn the rugs 2-4 times a year to even out wear patterns or sun damage.
- Shake out smaller area rugs to remove dirt and debris.